Resources for International Students
Here are some very helpful Powerpoint presentations that were made during the August 2011 orientation:
- Safety Doesn't Happen By Accident Workshop
- How to Survive (and Succeed!) in the U.S. Education System
- Meeting with Your Advisor
- Employment in the U.S.
- 10 Rules for Success at IUPUI: How to Keep Your Visa Status Legal!
Telephone Scam Warning:
Beware of telephone scams where the person calling pretends to be a USCIS, IRS, or other government official. Scammers may "spoof" their phone number and then ask for your personal information, trying to take your money.
Sometimes the scammers will tell you that there is an issue with your immigration record, or they may tell you that you have won a scholarship. They then proceed to ask for personal information such as your social security number, passport number, or credit card information in order to "fix" your immigration issue or to provide you with the scholarship. Government officials will never call and ask you to make a payment over the phone. If a scammer calls you, HANG UP! Do not give out any of your information.
View these helpful links for more information:
- "Common Scams" warning from USCIS.gov
- "Signs of a Scam" from the Federal Trade Commission
- Report scams to the nationwide Federal Trade Commission
- Report scams to the Indiana Attorney General's office
- Join the national "Do Not Call" registry to deter telemarketers' phone calls
If you are targeted by a scam, or have any questions, contact the OIA.