On-Campus Employment for F-1 and J-1 Students

What is my eligibility?

Both F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to work on-campus. Employment is limited to 20 hours/week during the Fall and Spring semesters, but may be increased to full-time during the breaks. Your breaks include Winter Break, Spring Break and Summer Break. However, be aware that Indiana University Human Resources policy limits part-time hourly employment to 29 hours/week, even though your visa status allows you to work more.

How do I prove my eligibility?

You must be in good standing with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. F-1 students meet this requirement by enrolling full-time for every fall and spring semester and by having a valid I-20 Form issued by IUPUI.

If you are a J-1 student and your DS-2019 was issued by IUPUI, you need an additional form filled out by an advisor in the Office of International Affairs. If your DS-2019 was not issued by IUPUI, contact your program sponsor for further information on obtaining work permission.

Where can I find a job?

The Office of Student Employment (located in UC 2010) can assist students in finding a job by providing valuable resources and information on job searching, resume writing, and interviewing. JagJobs (http://employment.uc.iupui.edu) is where campus jobs and other job related resources are posted and registered students can upload a resume and apply for jobs online. JagJobs is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Students must register for an account and it may take up to two days to be approved to start using the system. If you have any trouble accessing the system or you would like to make an appointment with a consultant, please contact the Office of Student Employment at 274-0857.

Campus Dining: F-1 and J-1 students are allowed to work in the Chartwells food locations around campus. You can go to www.dineoncampus.com/iupui/ and download their General Employment Application.

Campus Center Bookstore (Barnes and Noble): The bookstore often hires temporary workers before the start of each semester to help with early semester book-buying. Some on-going part-time employment is also available the rest of the year. Look for flyers around campus, postings on JagJobs or JagNews, or students can check for employment opportunities on the website: iupui.bncollege.com.

University Library: The University Library hires students on "Work-Study" first. If not enough students on work-study apply, the library will hire other students. They usually hire several non-work-study students each summer. Sometimes these jobs can also continue into the Fall semester. Other libraries on campus include the Herron School of Art Library, IU School of Law Library, Ruth Lilly Medical Library and the IU School of Dentistry Library.

University Information Technology Services (UITS): This office hires many students while regular classes are in session, although some summer employment may be available. You may inquire with UITS at the office located at IT 100.

What is "Work Study"?

While searching for a job at IUPUI, you may notice that many job postings specify "Work Study only" or "Work Study Preferred". Work Study is part of the financial aid package American students and U.S. permanent residents receive from the federal government. The federal government pays part of the hourly wage of a work study employee, which decreases the costs of the employer. Because of this, students eligible for work study are often preferred. As an F-1 or J-1 student, you can still apply for these positions. Non-work study students may be hired if there is a lack of other qualified applicants.

I found a job and I have been asked to fill out an I-9 form. How do I do this?

Detailed instructions for filling out the I-9 Form are on the OIA website.

Now that I have a job, can I get a Social Security Number?

Yes, you can! Please follow the instructions here.

My employer says I need a "Criminal Background Check" and it is delaying the start of my employment. Is this necessary?

Actually, it might not be necessary. This is a routine procedure for Americans who are hired into university positions, but non-U.S. citizens are often exempted. If you have lived in the United States for less than one year you are not subject to a criminal background check. Because some on-campus employers may not have experience in hiring international students, they may not be aware of your exemption. The university policy on this issue may be found at http://www.indiana.edu/~uhrs/policies/uwide/bkg_check.html.

If you have other questions regarding on-campus employment, please call us at 317-274-7000, email us at iadvisor@iupui.edu, or visit us in ES 2126.