The Office of International Affairs has arranged for IUPUI international students, scholars and their dependents to use CINTAX computer software to complete tax returns on-line and print them for filing with the Internal Revenue Service. Please note that this will enable you to complete your federal tax returns. You will still need to complete your Indiana state tax returns using paper forms available at our office — ES 2126 — or online: http://www.in.gov/dor/4167.htm (IT40-PNR).
To use CINTAX, you will need to use your network ID, your network password, and your IUPUI email address. Using this software, you will answer questions and provide data concerning your individual tax situation to complete the IRS forms 8843 and 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR. The software will also factor in allowances for tax treaties. Once completed, the tax forms can be printed and are ready to send to the IRS.
Forgot Your IUPUI Network ID, Password, or E-mail Address?
If you have forgotten your Network ID or password, you will need to visit the Help Desk at IT 129. Take your Student ID with you. If you have never activated your IUPUI email, the following website will help you: http://itaccounts.iu.edu/
Your IUPUI email account is requested for you by your department. Ask the technology support person in your department for assistance with that and the network ID and password.
If you have a dependent nonimmigrant status (such as F-2 or J-2) and are not eligible for an IUPUI Network ID and Password (because you are not an IUPUI student, scholar, or employee), you will need to use your principal applicant's account to complete your forms. You can delete their information and add your own.
Tax Resident or Nonresident?
The CINTAX software will only assist you if you are a Nonresident for tax purposes. See our Tax Resident or Nonresident? page to help you determine if you are a Nonresident or Resident for tax purposes.
You will need your passport, your nonimmigrant visa (stamped in passport), and any IRS form W-2 or 1042-S forms you received from IUPUI or other employer during 2010 to properly complete the CINTAX program. You should also have any form 1099 that you received and check routing information — your checkbook or an unused check. You should have received a W-2 form if tax was withheld from your wages. If you had income and tax was not withheld — for instance, if you were eligible for a tax treaty benefit or had a scholarship or fellowship, you should have received a form 1042-S. It is possible to have received a W-2 and a 1042-S. 1042-S forms are generally not mailed out until mid-March. If you have not received a W-2 or 1042-S and believe you should have, contact FMS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Starting the Process…
- The first step in using CINTAX is to log on at a secure website using your IU exchange account username and password.
- Go to: http://istart.iu.edu/
- On the left side, middle of the screen click on the login button. Enter your username and password. As long as you have activated your IUPUI exchange account you should be able to continue.
- Click the "+" sign next to "Insurance and Finances."
- Select "CINTAX Tax Preparation."
- Click "Access CINTAX" at the bottom of the screen.
- Click the button.You will then create your User Account for CINTAX. If you have not used this program yet, this year, click "No." Once you use the program initially, you should enter your information in the "Yes" box and click Submit. You will need to do both the first time.
- You must accept the User agreement.
- You have a choice of creating an Individual record, seeing frequently asked questions, or viewing and printing previous years' tax returns (if you have used CINTAX in the past). Please read the instructions. Once you are in the CINTAX program, you must use the CINTAX navigation buttons not the internet ones.
- Please note you must have data before beginning the program, i.e. reports of U.S. income. Please see above.